Many children in the Fairfax County, VA, area dread going to the dentist, and when you were a kid you probably felt the same way. As a parent, taking your child to the dentist’s office for routine checkups and cleanings is important to ensure a healthier, more beautiful smile as they grow older. If getting your child to the dentist is something you now dread, have you considered bringing them to one who specializes in working with children? At Merrifield Pediatric Dentistry, Dr. Monamie Ghatak is a board-certified pediatric dentist who only sees patients under age 18.
Top Children's Dentistry in the Fairfax Area
Why Choose a Top-Rated Pediatric Dentist?
After finishing dental school, a top-rated pediatric dentist like Dr. Ghatak completed two more years of specialized training focused on the unique care needs of infants, children and adolescents; including those with special health considerations. As a mother, Dr. Ghatak fully understands the importance of starting an oral hygiene program early in life that includes routine cleanings, checkups and cavity prevention education.
For newborns to age 18, Dr. Ghatak uses a personalized and modern approach to children’s dentistry that includes minimally invasive techniques and bioactive, BPA and mercury-free materials whenever possible. At Merrifield Pediatric Dentistry, we make it fun and educational to visit the dentist so that your child will want to come back year after year!
Our Pediatric Dental Services
In the relaxing, boutique-like surroundings of our Dunn Loring, VA, office, we provide the following pediatric dental services for children and teens:
- Cleanings. Regular checkups and teeth cleanings are essential for keeping your child’s mouth healthy as they grow, and for the early detection of any potential problems. At Merrifield Pediatric Dentistry, our team will make your child’s visits fun and educational!
- Silver Diamine Fluoride (SDF). Now approved in the U.S., this is a safer form of fluoride that we use because it’s shown positive results in very young patients all around the world. SDF is a proven, safe and non-invasive way to stop cavities from progressing in your child’s mouth.
- BPA-free Sealants & Fillings. Dr. Ghatak only uses sealants and fillings containing resins that are free of bisphenol A (BPA). BPA is found in many commercial plastics and resins, and several recent studies indicate that it can be harmful to humans. Dental sealants are thin protective coatings that are applied to the chewing surfaces of hard-to-reach back molars where tooth decay oftentimes occurs in children and teens.
- Stainless Steel Crowns. In certain situations, like after a pulpotomy for nerve damage, Dr. Ghatak may recommend a stainless steel crown to repair a damaged tooth’s surface instead of a filling. Stainless steel crowns are approved for use in children by the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD).
- Bonding. This involves adding some tooth-colored filling material to a tooth that is underdeveloped, or a tooth that has experienced trauma, to restore its intended esthetics and function.
- Pulpotomies. A type of pulp therapy, a pulpotomy is sometimes performed by Dr. Ghatak when a tooth’s root has sustained serious damage due to trauma or decay. Once finished, she typically uses a stainless steel crown to cap off the repaired tooth.
- Space Maintainers. This is a temporary appliance that’s used to discourage the movement or drifting of one or more teeth into open areas created by missing teeth.
- Preventative Dentistry. At Merrifield Pediatric Dentistry, it’s always our goal to teach your child good oral hygiene habits starting at an early age, including cavity prevention.
- Extractions. This involves removing, or “pulling”, a tooth completely due to infection, serious decay, or to create space when teeth overcrowding occurs.
- Habit Counseling. Most kids outgrow habits like thumb-sucking and pacifier use on their own, but when those habits persist they can negatively affect a child’s normal teeth and jaw development. We provide habit counseling support to parents, which may include a mouth appliance in certain situations.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea Screenings. Obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS) is hard to diagnose in children, but it can cause daytime attention and behavioral issues. Dr. Ghatak has received specialized training that allows her to perform pediatric OSAS screenings in our office.
- Laughing Gas. One of the safe and reliable sedation methods we use in our office to relax non-cooperative children is laughing gas, or nitrous oxide. The child remains awake the entire time, and all laughing gas is totally eliminated from their body before heading home.
Bioactive Materials (MTA). Dr. Ghatak prefers to use “bioactive” endodontic cement, or mineral trioxide aggregate (MTA), when performing a root procedure like a pulpotomy because they’ve been shown to speed up healing. Very safe to use in children, MTA cement contains calcium and silicate.
Join Us for Our Monthly Play Group
You child’s first introduction to dentistry doesn’t have to be a scary one! We make sure to engage children in fun activities and leave a positive impact in and out of their dental visits.
Parents love coming to the monthly play group hosted at our office and children love it even more. We put smiles on their faces and help you keep them there.
Board-Certified Pediatric Dentistry
Because every child’s smile is unique, at Merrifield Pediatric Dentistry all our children’s dentistry services are delivered with a personalized and modern approach. As a one-dentist practice, our goal is to deliver top-quality care in a relaxed and comfortable setting so that your child can have the beautiful, natural-looking smile they truly deserve! To schedule an appointment with board-certified pediatric dentist Dr. Monamie Ghatak, please call Merrifield Pediatric Dentistry in Dunn Loring, VA, today at: 571-293-1668.